This recipe is adapted from Quinoa, Beet, and Chickpea Burgers at The Bojon Gourmet
. I adapted the recipe to make it a little less labor intense and faster. Making them with chickpeas from dry and roasting my own beets would make these a little healthier and probably even a little tastier, but for a weeknight dinner, it just isn’t manageable for me!
1/2 cup raw quinoa, cooked
1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
1 can small, whole beets
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1/2 cup quick oats
1 large egg
1) Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2) While quinoa cooks, heat the onions in olive oil and some salt for about 10 minutes.
3) While onions cook, grate or mince about 10 oz of beets (about 2/3 of the can). Add the beets and garlic to the onion and cook about 5 more minutes (salt here too).
4) Add the rinsed chickpeas and cooked quinoa to the pan with the onions and beets to warm them through.
5) Remove the mixture from the pan into a large mixing bowl.
6) Deglaze the pan with the vinegar and add the liquid to the bowl.
7) Mash the mix with a potato masher, then add the lemon juice, oats, and egg. Stir to combine.
8) Divide the mix into 6 equal portions and form into patties.
9) Heat a skillet with olive oil and cook the patties, one at a time, for 3 minutes per side.
10) Serve on a bun or alone.