D saw a picture of Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes in a cookbook and wanted to make them. She decided on vanilla cake and vanilla icing. In the end, she didn’t like the icing and ate her cupcake plain, so I added lime to the icing since she wasn’t going to eat it anyway. Although these are by no means healthy, they are MUCH healthier than cake and icing from a box or bakery.
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
12 ice cream cones
1) Combine the oil, vanilla, sugar, and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
2) Add egg and beat well.
3) Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
4) Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
5) Place ice cream cones in a muffin tin, or cut holes in the bottom of an aluminum pan and set it upside-down to hold the cones. (below)
6) Fill cones about half full of cake mix (between 2 T and ¼ C, depending on cones).
7) Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.
12 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 T low-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 T honey
juice of ½ lime
Mix all ingredients until creamy. Refrigerate until cakes are cooled and ready to ice.